Friday, February 1, 2013

Crocheted rug and my take on repurposing...

After putting a lot of thought into how I can combine repurposing and needle crafts together I decided that crocheted rag rugs were a great way to use old clothing and sheets. I started the first rug while I was still in Nevada, but never had enough cloth to finish it before I left  to come to California and take care of Randy. The first rug I completed was made while I was taking care of him, a small oval shaped rug for my bath that kind of didn't want to lay flat and curled on the edges and was made from some of his old t-shirts he wanted to toss out. I use it for my bathroom (when it isn't in the laundry from the dog wetting on it!)





 The second finished rug is pictured here. 



 
Much nicer and it lies flat on the floor. I made it from one large bed sheet so the entire thing is made from one type of fabric and I spaced it better so it doesn't curl on the edges. I love the concept and the idea that I'm rescuing old clothes from the landfill, but what I hate is the hand pain I go through trying to crochet it. By the time I was done my hands were stiff and really sore. I really want to start selling these and have asked folks to send me fabric scraps and old clothes, but I definitely have to take breaks to knit and crochet with easier materials between rugs to give my hands a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment