Saturday, November 12, 2011

knitting and crocheting while dealing with hand pain

There are a lot of things I've had to give up while dealing with fibromyalgia and neuropathy, but I refuse to give up my knitting! I figure I'll knit even if I have to hold the needles with my teeth.Ha! I just can't give up something that brings me as much joy as this craft and that allows me to be creative, make a little extra money, and give nice things to people that need them.

I'm definitely challenged right now. I don't have a car so I have to walk to the post office to mail out my knitted goods. As much as the knitting hurts, the walking is even harder for me. I make the trip at least once a week and I have to take time afterwords to recover. Sometimes it takes several days. I'm dealing with foot problems that are common for people with fibro (heel spurs and plantar fascilitis). I gave up driving when I realized that I kept dazing off in a fibro fog and I had a couple close calls. None of my doctors have taken the fibro fog issue seriously and they don't have a clue of anything I can take or do to make it better. So there went driving. Most other things I've been able to find ways to do them, just had to alter the way they were done. I also have to pace myself so I don't get too worn out or sore.

My mantra now seems to be to not give up and keep plowing along. If I give up and stop doing things, I sit and get depressed and the soreness and fog take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment