Thursday, June 23, 2011

Trying to get back into shape

After going shopping last night with my daughter, Chelle, and one of my roommates, Steven, I came back, ate dinner, then went for a swim.

For me, the most important thing to keep sane while I fight fibro fog and other symptoms, is to keep active. I'm always looking for more energy by eating the right foods and by getting going, but I have to take it really easy. I get caught up in what I used to be able to do and not in the here and now. In the past, if I needed to lose weight, I would put myself on a rigid diet and start walking/running or using a gym to whittle off the pounds fast. Now its about eating smart, but not dieting and going at a slow and easy pace.

I think part of my problems with staying on board with a careful eating plan and exercise is that I have always done best with a rigid plan set before me on paper that shows me exactly what to eat, how much to eat, and lets me know exactly how much exercise I need and for how long. As soon as I go off the plan, I put the weight right back on and none of the food and exercise plan is continued on a permanent basis. I need something to do for life, not just while I drop a few pounds.

On top of that, I have to make sure I don't damage my already fibro wracked body by overdoing my exercise. This is what I know:
* first, I have to watch portion sizes while eating and cut back there
*second, I need to stick with exercise that won't jar joints or aggravate already sore muscles.
*third, I have to keep a food journal so I can see when I eat wrong and I need to actually do something about it instead of just writing it down.
*and fourth, I need to limit the time spent exercising so I don't hurt myself.

I know what I need to do, but can I stick with it? I refuse to get back into a plan where I have to measure and weigh my food and where I have to do exercises that are boring and easy to find excuses to not do. That's why I resist getting into weights and using the machines in our exercise room here at the apartments. I know that I will be bored to tears. I have no clue how to use the tv in the room, so I end up watching the pre-pre show to the next football/basketball/baseball game that someone else has playing and left on. I tried bringing my knitting, but knitting while moving is out of the question and if I use any equipment that works on the arms, the knitting is pretty much useless.

So here is my plan so far. I try to keep my portions down and pick healthy choices when I shop. I don't go back for seconds, even when its something I love and I know there won't be any seconds for lunch the next day. I walk every morning, but limit the distance so I don't aggravate my heel spurs. I go for a swim every other night, just after dark so the water will still be warm enough to not do damage to my muscles. Now the question remains; can I stick with it? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment