Friday, June 24, 2011

I bought a toy!

You would think I was talking about something wonderful for knitting, but instead I got a brand new Nookcolor e-reader today. Complete with my first downloaded knitting book on it.

It all started the day before yesterday when the SSI office called to do my yearly update appointment over the phone. After I hung up and started to knit, she called me back. It turned out that social security had underpaid me several months last fall. They were pretty sure that I was declaring that Randy was making less money than he was, so they let me know they would be investigating and would most likely have to take the money from my monthly checks. I was distressed, but figured we would just work through it. Well, instead, they found that we delcared more than we were supposed to. So that led to a rare moment in my life when I have money to decide what to do with.

I started by being the responsible one and decided we would use it for a car to replace the one that Chelle lost a couple months ago. But when she got home from work, she informed me that she rather liked things the way they were since she was losing weight by biking and walking and we have Steven's car here for doctor appointments. So we decided to replace cloths and get some things that we've been wanting, but couldn't afford.

At first I thought I would go for a laptop. Then I discovered that e-readers work like little computer laptops. You can access the web, download books and then read them with the size of font that is easiest on your eyes, and listen to music on them. I did some research and compared several different brands, finally choosing the Nook from Barnes & Nobel book store. It's lightweight, small and compact, and has a holder that can be used to stand it up for easy, hands free viewing.

I would tell you more, but I want to play now!

No comments:

Post a Comment