Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I'm Amazed!!!

The last few days have been wonderful! After all this time that I've struggled to get something going for my craft business, it looks like its finally going to go somewhere! Let me start from the beginning...
In the beginning of December, Chelle and I met with our friend Angel to discuss the possibility of starting a business together and decided that our best choice would be to combine our interests to do a business that would sell crafts as well as thrift store items. 

Then the Holidays hit and we were too busy to think about doing anything but get gifts made. While I was up to my ears with gift making, my friend Debbie asked me if I could make her some more socks (I made her some a while back and she really liked them). I made a couple pairs and posted them before Christmas, but really didn't get the chance to do much until after Christmas was over.  Here are the socks I made for her






I posted each pair on facebook as I finished them. After the first couple, people on the knitting groups I'm on mentioned that they would like the pattern. I started off just telling them that I didn't have a pattern and was doing them from memory, but they kept insisting, so I eventually decided, "Hey, maybe I should write down my pattern and try to sell it..." (this is where I did a mental facepalm). So I wrote up the first pattern and was amazed that people were actually interested.Haha! 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jaunty-striped-socks

Then I got the bright idea that if I put my basic sock pattern up, it might draw people to my Ravelry page so I put that one up for free.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basic-cuff-down-knit-socks

I decided that I would post that one to all the knitting groups I'm on on facebook and was shocked to find that the downloads for it was in the hundreds!

I quickly finished up today by putting the other variations up for sale
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/snazzy-two-colored-socks
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/textured-bobble-socks
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/puffy-striped-socks

I also was surprised to have people asking me to knit them socks and to make my fingerless glove pattern available. 
So now I have to decide how much work I can take in and be able to do with my pain issues. Not only that, but I need to come up with prices that are fair to customers, but not unfair to me. And, finally, I need to decide how much I can do and still be able to keep my goals for making socks for the Veterans like I planned. 

I'm really glad it's taking off like this. It's good to be able to make your creative venue into your daily job.

2 comments:

  1. I was very excited to see you again after so long, and very happy to see that you knit socks! I too have FMS and man! The cold just gets to me, so I am anxious to grab some cozy socks! I'm also happy that you have a business up and running, one that hopefully will help sustain you spiritually as well as financially. : ) hugs and more hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you again also! I'm hoping that my knitting will take off and help us to make ends meet. It helps that its a business that involves warm, snuggly yarn.LOL Hugs!

      Delete